Local Buy Fresh Buy Local campaigns are coordinated in partnership with The Farmers Market Coalition, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting local foods efforts across the country.
Starting a Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter can be approached in various ways, depending on the degree of interest in your community. You can organize under a current non-profit organization or start your own Buy Fresh Buy Local Steering Committee. Buy Fresh Buy Local chapters across the country are coordinated by a diverse array of organizations, from all-volunteer steering committees, Cooperative Extension, sustainable agriculture groups, and economic development councils to name a few.
The Farmers Market Coalition can help you find the right model for your unique community group!
The Real Objectives of a Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter are to:
- Improve your local economy
- Increase the % of local food consumed by local citizens from local farms & producers
- Differentiate the local sustainable food system from large conglomerate global systems that are not sustainable for your community.
- Enjoy the process of helping increase the availability of healthy sustainably produced local food to every member of your community.
- Involve as many people from your community as possible in the process! Helping everyone understand that they need to take an active role for the benefit of the community.
Benefits of the Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter Network:
- You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
- You can customize your Chapter materials to reflect your unique locale.
- You can focus energy on grassroots organizing efforts and not making expensive marketing materials and campaigns.
- You are part of a strong National network of Chapters working together to find creative ways to achieve our collective goals.
- We have numerous materials, resources, networking opportunities, and staff and mentor support to help your Chapter be successful.
- You are working to bring back local food systems, revitalize your local economy, and improve the health of your community!
To learn what it takes to start a local Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter in your community, please contact The Farmers Market Coalition.